Anne Sofie Von Otter | Brad Mehldau
The genisis for the double-disc release, Love Songs, was a commission from Carnegie Hall for Brad Mehldau to write songs for Anne Sofie Von Otter, for voice and piano. Later, he was commissioned again jointly from Carnegie Hall and Wigmore Hall in London and wrote two more songs. Those songs received their debut performances at Carnegie Hall and Wigmore respectively, and appear here for the first time, on the first CD of this two disc set.
For the second CD, Anne Sofie and Brad present singular interpretations of a wide variety of material. There are great French songs here from Jacques Brel, Leo Ferré, Barbara, and Michel Legrand; there are American songbook classics – some in the orignal English, and a few surprises in Swedish, Anne Sofie’s mother tongue. There are songs from Lennon and McCartney and Joni Mitchell, and more contemporary pop music.
All of these were selected by Anne Sofie and Brad, who went back and forth with each other, finding the material together, and then went through a lot of music before settling on the program that is presented here. When the two of them perform together in an upcoming tour during the next year, their program promises to be as varied as Love Songs itself is: They will perform some of the classical art songs that Anne Sofie is most often associated with, and will also perform a selection from the new record – both Brad’s own songs, and some of the other pop, jazz and French songs as well. It promises to be a special concert experience.
01. It May Not Always Be So
02. We Met At The End Of The Party
03. Child, Child
07. Did You Never Know?
01. Léo Ferré Avec le temps
02. Barbara Pierre
03. Joni Mitchell Marcie
04. Richard Rodgers Something Good
05. Michel Legrand Chanson de Maxence from Les Demoiselles de Rochefort
06. Jacques Brel Chanson des vieux amants
07. Fred E. Ahlert Sakta vi gå genom stan (Walking My Baby Back Home)
08. Lars Färnlöf Att Angöra en Brygga
09. Barbara Dis quand reviendras-tu?
10. Michel Legrand What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life? 3’12 from The Happy Ending
11. Bob Telson Calling You from Bagdad Café
12. John Lennon | Paul McCartney Blackbird
13. Leonard Bernstein Some Other Time from On the Town